Thursday, February 5, 2009

Portrait


The Cup of Tea
Mary Cassatt 
American

What I've observe: In this painting, Mary uses light pastel colors. What I can see is a women possibly sitting in a green house/porch enjoying a cup of tea. I see many primary colors like the blue in the chair, and the teal in the flower pot. There are also teritary colors in the pink dress and lilac shading. This painting makes me think of a spring evening and I feel as if she is looking over her probably beautiful garden. The model looks as if she is almost smiling but it is as if she content. 

What I have learned: I have learned that this painting was painted in 1879. Critics praise Cassatt for her ease to show the soft light dancing off of the models dress and flowers. This painting is currently residing at the Museum of Art in New York. 

No comments:

Post a Comment